Former New York City
Police Headquarters Building
U.S. National Register of Historic Places
looking downtown from Broome Street (2008)
Location: 240 Centre St.
Manhattan, New York City
Coordinates: 40°43′12″N 73°59′56″W / 40.72000°N 73.99889°W
Architect: Hoppin & Koen
Architectural style: Beaux Arts
Governing body: Private
NRHP Reference#: 80002690
Added to NRHP: March 28, 1980
Designated NYCL: September 26, 1978
240 Centre Street, formerly the New York City Police Headquarters building, between Broome and Grand Streets in the Nolita neighborhood of Manhattan, New York City, was built in 1905-1909, and was designed by the firm of Hoppin & Koen. It housed the headquarters of the New York City Police Department from 1909 to 1973, and was converted into luxury condominiums in 1988 by the firm of Ehrenkranz Group & Eckstut. It is now known as the Police Building Apartments.
The building at 240 Centre Street replaced an older building nearby on Mulberry Street, where Theodore Roosevelt had served as New York City Police Commissioner. Following the consolidation of the cities of New York (Manhattan) and Brooklyn, the counties of Queens and Richmond (Staten Island), and a part of Westchester County which was appended to The Bronx, into the city of "Greater New York" in 1898, the police department underwent expansion and needed a new headquarters building.
The Police Building was designated a New York City landmark in 1978, and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980.